General EMR Related Questions
So my electronics emit radiation? Is it really bad for me?
- Your electronics, such as your cell phone and laptop emit radiation in the form of Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR). There are thousands of doctors, scientists, and other field experts that link exposure to EMR to adverse health effects which you can read more about here.
If all electronics emit EMR, don’t I need protection from them too?
- EMR has a high decay rate, which means that levels drop off drastically at a distance of about 6-8 inches. Therefore it is only the devices which we use for extended periods of time in close proximity to our bodies that are of concern (think cell phone and laptop). Radiation emission levels also vary between devices and laptops and cell phones emit very high levels.
How can I protect myself?
- Either stop using your devices or simply get a SafeSleeve! All of our products integrate our FCC certified lab tested shielding technology to provide effective and convenient protection from all types of EMR.
What is the shielding material made of?
- Our shielding material is made of a lightweight, lead-free metallic alloy foil, specially engineered to block all three types of radiation emitted by your devices (ELF, RF and Thermal).
Do you have testing that proves that it works?
- Yes. Our radiation shielding technology was tested in an independent FCC certified lab to show reductions in EMR of up to 99%. You can see the study here.
Cell Phone Case Questions
How does the cell phone case protect me from radiation?
- The shielding material in the front flap blocks EMR from your phone. When you receive a phone call, simply open the flap, answer, close the flap back up and talk as you normally would with no reduction in sound quality on either end. When placing in your pocket, position the flap side towards your body.
Why is the shielding material only in the front flap?
- Our shielding technology is incorporated into the front flap as to provide protection in the direction of your body while still allowing signal to enter and exit the phone through the back panel. If we were to shield the sides and back, the phone would no longer be able to send and receive signal. That said, the flap can be folded behind the phone when it is in use to shield the back of the device while texting, browsing the web, watching videos etc.
Do you need a flap?
- Incorporating the shielding technology into the front flap provides a radiation barrier between you and your phone. Other products claim to provide the same protection without a flap (snap on case or radiation absorbing sticker/pendant), but we believe a flap to be the only effective means of providing true protection from all types of EMR radiation.
Can I use a tri-field meter to measure the radiation from my phone like you would with a laptop?
As much as we would love to show a meter test with our cell phone cases, it is not possible to accurately measure cell phone radiation and reductions outside of a controlled laboratory setting with highly specialized equipment. While some of our competitors may show tests that seem to show reductions, these tests are often not repeatable and are only possible with certain devices.
The good news is we had an independent, FCC certified lab test our shielding technology and the results were impressive. Not only does it block over 99% of RF, it also blocks 92% of ELF (another major form of radiation that most of our competitors do not block). See the full results here: http://www.safesleevecases.com/pages/lab-tested
How is my phone held in place?
- Your phone easily snaps in and out of a silicone inner shell that is custom fit per type of phone.
- Our universal cell phone cases use an adhesive pad to hold the phone in place.
- I just got my case and it is hard to close the flap and magnetic latch. Is it defective?
- The premium materials we use are stretched tightly during assembly to ensure quality and durability. Thus, it may take a day or two for the materials to wear in to where the case will easily close and stay closed with several cards inside.
Laptop Case Questions
How does the laptop case protect me from radiation?
- Simply place your laptop on your SafeSleeve for Laptop (either side up) as an anti-radiation barrier between you and your computer. Our shielding material spans the entire area of the case.
What about the top and sides of my computer?
- Some EMR is emitted from the top of the computer, but vital areas of your body (i.e. chest, abdomen and head) are at a safe distance (6-8 inches) from the laptop. While your hands and wrists are in this range, they are far less susceptible since they do not have the same soft tissues and vascularity as your lap.
- Levels around the sides of the laptop are negligible as seen by using a tri-field EMF meter.
I use a pillow or a book under my laptop, does that protect me at all?
- Only materials specifically formulated to block EMR will provide protection. Before/after testing with an EMF meter shows virtually no reduction in levels with any other materials including pillows, blankets, books, other cases etc.
Have a question we haven't answered? Send us and email and we'll get back to you right away.